It is a 3rd class municipality in the province of Pampanga, Philippines.
Originally named San Miguel de Masantol and a part of the town of Macabebe, Pampanga, three of the town's leading patriarchs - Manuel Fajardo, Gregorio Bautista, and Juan Lacap - filed a motion on June 26, 1877 to separate the barrios of Bebe, Bulacus, Caingin and Nigui from Macabebe
thereby creating a new Spanish pueblo called San Miguel. This new pueblo was approved by Spanish Governor General Domingo Moriones y Murillo and was inaugurated on May 1, 1978. On November 30, 1893, the Catholic Parish of San Miguel was formally acknowledged through a Royal Decree.
On July 26, 1904, Masantol once more became part of Macabebe. However, in 1907, Masantol was again reinstated as a separate independent municipality and this lasted up to the present.