Baker's Hill is a famous hang out place in Palawan, known for their freshly baked goodies like hopia, munchies and crinkles. It is located on top of a...
The Jesuit House of 1730 is located between Zulueta and Binakayan Streets of Pari-an Cebu City. It is reputed to be the oldest dated house in the Philippines today.
The Jesuit house was built in 1730 to serve as a residence of the Jesuit Superior in Cebu. It was under Jesuits possession until the year 1768, when they were expelled in the Philippines. Then after, all Jesuits properties including this house, was put on public auction.
During the late 19th century, a rich Spanish landowner from Bohol named Don Jose Alvarez bought this house and lived here with his family. At one time, the residence was leased by Governor Sergio Osmeña, Jr. which turned the house into an exclusive club for Cebu's elite.
The heritage features distinct designs and structure made of strong materials that made the house withstand the test of time. A wall made of cut coral surrounds the whole compound. The gates lintel is decorated with monograms of Jesus, Mary and Joseph. Actually, the house are subdivided into two and both are connected by a bridge.
The house were basically, made of cut coral stones. The roof is made of clay tiles and the windows were secured with iron grilles. Inside the house, you can see a bas-relief plaque bearing the words "Año 1730" tha protrude above the portal. The flooring is made of alternating planks of light and dark shade of hardwood. Overall, Chinese influences in design and style are dominating in the interiors and exteriors of the house.
Today, the Jesuit House of 1730 is owned by the Sy family, owners of HO Tong hardware. It is now used as a warehouse but it can be visited with advanced notice.
Source: Cebu Heritage